Indoor Air Pollution

Indoor Air Pollution

Indoor air pollution is one of the leading causes for respiratory health problems, especially amongst those who use solid fuels inside homes. Identifying the indoor air pollution sources and controlling them are practical steps to avoid health hazards resulted from the pollutants. Read on...

When we discuss air pollution, not of many of us thick twice about the pollutants present in our indoor environment. The absence of automobiles, vehicles and industries doesn't mean that there is no indoor air pollution. In fact, air in homes or offices is contaminated to some degree. Fortunately, there are ways to stop air pollution indoors, with which the quality of indoor air can be increased for better health.

Facts about Indoor Air Pollution

The reduction of indoor air quality due to physical, chemical and biological factors is referred to as indoor air pollution. Categorized under the types of air pollution, it negatively affects the health of people in several ways. Chronic medical problems may be manifested, when exposed to indoor pollutants for an extended time. Some indoor air pollution facts, which every individual should be aware of are highlighted below.

Indoor Air Pollution Statistics
According to reports published on environmental issues, indoor pollution of air is listed in the first five risk factors for public health. Considering the fact that we spend maximum time in homes, the indoor air pollutants are responsible for causing, or exacerbating 50 percent of medical problems. Also, 10 percent cases of common cold are contacted outdoors, while the remaining 90 percent cases are contacted indoors.

Indoor Air Pollution Sources
While combustion of fossil fuels is the major reason for outdoor air pollution, the sources for pollution of indoor air are biomass fuels, coals, household products, biological pollutants and materials used for construction purposes. The major sources include cigarette smoke, body sprays, mold growth, pollens, aerosols, cleaning products, polishes, paints and asbestos use in building.

Indoor Air Pollution Causes
You might be already familiar with the causes of air pollution. But, what about indoor air pollution causes? Uses of beauty products, paints, cleaning products, solid fuels, formaldehyde, lead, etc. are the contributing factors. Can you believe that about 3 billion people still rely on biomass fuels (e.g. cow dung, wood) for generating energy inside homes? Burning of these fuels for cooking or heating is a major cause.

Indoor Air Pollution Effects
Needless to mention, the effects of air pollution are mainly attributed to respiratory health problems. Some medical conditions arise due to indoor pollution are fatigue, headache, runny nose, eye irritation and allergic responses. Poor indoor air quality is the number one leading cause for childhood asthma. In the United States, one out of every 10 children is diagnosed with asthma.

Indoor Air Pollution Prevention
Several studies and clinical researches have been conducted on prevention of air pollution. Simple solutions to improve indoor air quality are maintaining proper ventilation in homes, growing houseplants, using air purifiers and reducing the sources that release contaminants. The logic is to limit use of smoke, fumes, chemical carcinogens, etc., that make their way inside homes.

Indoor Air Pollution Overview
In indoor air pollution, the immediate environment where we spend 90 percent of our time is contaminated with pollutants. So, you can expect their detrimental effects on the respiratory system. The concentration of air pollutants in indoors is 25-100 times higher than outdoors. Air pollutants present outdoors get diffused and diluted with time. To be more precise, homes and offices are enclosed structures that retain contaminants for a longer period.

On the concluding note, short-term exposure to indoor air pollution is not a medical concern, and discomfort symptoms will subside as soon as the source is removed. However, those exposed to indoor air pollutants for a prolonged time may develop chronic respiratory diseases and cancers. Implement the effectual ways to prevent air pollution and surely, you can increase indoor air quality.

Total Pageviews